HISTORY THE ARCHITECTURE
THE SYMOBLISM OF THE ARCHITECTURE
CONTEMPORARY REACTION PUBLICATIONS
The Secession at the end of World War II, Photo: Secession
The Vienna Secession was adapted and renovated several times in the course of
its hundred year history. The entrance hall was already being altered in 1901.
In 1908, part of the ornamentation and the slogan "Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst
ihre Freiheit" ("For every time its art. For art its Freedom") were removed The
building was damaged by bombs during World War II and set on fire by the retreating
Staircase leading to the Grafische Kabinett, Photo: Margherita
During the reconstruction in 1963 the original décor was renewed and a second
floor inserted in the entrance hall. Adolf Krischanitz was responsible for the
most recent renovation in 1984/85.
The President's room at the Secession, Photo: Margherita Spiluttini
Alongside the restitution of the central entrance hall and main exhibitions spaces
to their original proportions, the ancilliary rooms for exhibition organisation
and administration were reorganised and developed further.
Main Hall, Exhibition Christopher
Wool, 2001, Photo: Matthias Herrmann
A total of about 20 exhibitions take place in the Vienna Secession (in the Main
Hall, Gallery, Graphic Cabinet and Ver Sacrum Room)each year.
Renée Green, Projekt
Fassade, 2000, Photo: Etienne Rieger
The total exhibition area is approx. 1000 m2. All of the exhibitions are accompanied
by a publication
and often by parallel events
, lectures, symposia,
art discussions, etc.
Markus Geiger, Secession
1998, Photo: Pez Hejduk
For further information and photographic
material please contact:
Secession, Association of Visual Artists Vienna Secession
Friedrichstraße 12, 1010 Vienna
Tel: +43-1-5875307-21, Fax: +43-1-5875307-34